Potassium Acetate Liquid Deicer
For Safe Runways, Bridges, Sensitive Areas, and a Clean Environment:
Benefits of Potassium Acetate for Ice and Snow Melt
- Safe for runways: meets FAA approved specifications
- Minimal environmental impact: non-persistent, biodegradable, low BOD
- Fast: runways are available sooner for Extended airport operation
- Staying power: works longer, requiring fewer applications
- Easy to apply: applied with existing equipment
- Active at sub-zero temperature (freeze pt. -75°F)
- Improved safety during weather event
- Cost effectiveness
- Moderate pH range (9.3-10.3)
- Excellent anti-icing characteristics
- Active at low temperatures (-20°F and below)
- Less slippery than glycol-based products
Potassium Acetate Application
The primary purpose of chemical deicing is not to melt surface ice, but rather to diffuse down through the snow and ice to break the bond between frozen precipitation and the runway.
- 1 gallon /1000 ft2 (50 g/m2) near 32°F (0°C) on thin ice
- 3 gallons/1000 ft2 (150 g/m2)below 10°F (-12°C) on 1 inch ice
The most cost effective way to utilize runway deicing fluid is by preventing frozen precipitation from sticking.
- 0.5 gallons/1000 ft2 (25 g/m2)
- Reapply when new accumulation shows first tendency to bond
- Plow often to reduce fluid dilution
- Pre-wetting – apply at spreader outlet at a rate of 1.25 gallons per 100 Ibs. (130 g/kg) of solid deicer
When using solid deicer, better melting efficiency and adhesion occurs with liquid pre wetting.
- Typical use: 70 parts solid to 30 parts liquid)
Standard liquid spraying units can be used. Check with equipment manufacturer for exact recommendations.
- Low BOD
- Biodegrades at low temperatures
- Does not contain urea
- Low toxicity to fish, mammals, and vegetation
- 55 gallon drum (208 liters)
- 265 gallon tote (1003 liters)